Monday, January 5, 2009

Let Us Rejoice.

Of course, I haven't been counting dates since the challenge ended, but it's up there. I have to say that I do much better than I used to. And my roommate is challenging herself these days, so I'm happy to go along for the ride.
For New Year's, we went out just the 2 of us. We thought we'd go bar-hopping in the North End and enjoy the fireworks there. The fireworks ended up getting cancelled because of the wind. Yeah, the wind - it ended up being a mofo!!! It was so cold; the wind was stingingly cold. I think the last time that I was that cold was in Korea. As it was, we went from bar/restaurant to bar/restaurant in the North End, drinking wine. For the actual countdown to 2009, we had champagne at a little place where the wait and kitchen staff came out and danced Hava Nagila ... for their own amusement. It wasn't ... like ... a show or anything.
We saw many couples out. Most of the women were way underdressed for the weather. Strapless, sleeveless mini-dresses, with strappy, open-toed sandals. Oh - did I mention that it snowed 6-8 inches that day? Yeah, it did. I wore snowboots.
At one bar/restaurant, we witnessed one woman dressed as such, trying to convince her boyfriend to say something. After eavesdropping for a while, we realized that she was trying to get him to say "I love you." What a way to start a year.
So in that circumstance, my roommate and I resolved to open ourselves to the social experiment of dating. We agreed that we needed to get out there more and make ourselves available. Once a week, we resolved, we would go out into a social environment where there are bo-ahs, as my friend Mesha would say.
I had just gotten a myspace from someone on the day before. So I answered. I IM-ed. We met. We made out. We made another date. I'll let you know how it's going.
Then Laura signed us up for speed-dating. That was tonight. I checked off three guys. I hope they check me off.
Next week, trivia. In Southie - you know, "how do you like them apples?" There was a guy from Southie speed-dating tonight. Yeah, I def checked him off.
This is making me happy. Na-naaaaaaaaaahhh, nanana na-naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, nanana ...

No comments: