Sunday, October 14, 2007

Where's the guy in the big yellow hat?

Ok, so today I volunteered with a group called Single Volunteers. The purpose of this organization is to put together groups of single people to volunteer for various organizations. The organizations benefit and it's a great way to meet new people. I had heard about them in DC; in fact a friend of mine had met someone at one of their activities. They dated about a year, but it didn't work out. I had always wanted to do this in DC or Baltimore but just never got around to it. It's hard on a retail schedule. I was hoping that I could count this towards one of my challenge dates.
It was a great activity too. I was volunteering to help with the grand opening of the new studio of a local (world-famous) PBS station. They make many programs at this studio, seen all over the country and world, including a certain talking aardvark and a famous very curious monkey (cartoons, of course). I was helping out with children's activities (how appropriate). Since it was the 2nd day, there weren't as many people, but enough to make it interesting.
Only ... there weren't that many of the single volunteers there. And I think they were mostly women. I didn't even get to MEET any of the other volunteers. We all got placed at different stations. Today was so far removed from the concept of "meeting new people," that I am willing to concede that this shouldn't count as one of my challenge dates. Unless you want to count Arthur, Curious George, or Buster Bunny as potential mates.
That's ok, I've got a swing dance thing lined up for next Sat that might work. And I'm not giving up on Single Volunteers; I'll sign up for more events. I just hope the turnout's a little better next time.

No comments: