Friday, November 2, 2007

Good service is not the absence of bad service.

This is an email that I sent to United. I am so angry at them. As of Dec 31 07, they will change their frequent flier program so that miles will expire after 18 months, instead of the previous 36 months (which, btw, was an increase from the previous 12 months - I wouldn't join United until the expiration period went to 36 months, which they only did to match Delta's promise of 36 months.) So if you don't have any account activity for 18 months, your miles will expire. Not only that, but any miles that you had previously earned will expire if there has been no activity on your account since June 06. Ooooooo!!!! BOYCOTT UNITED!

"I am extremely disappointed to learn that you will change your policy regarding expiring miles. Not only that, but it seems that the miles I have already accrued have expired without notification from United. (Yeah, it's telling me that I can't redeem these miles.)
On my last flight in July 07, your inflight magazine featured an article about improving customer service. In fact, I believe it was written by a new airline executive whose job it was to improve customer service. Well, I am a manager at N- so my idea of service comes from a well-established tradition.
While I understand that the Mileage Plus program is aimed at making very frequent fliers feel even more special, thereby encouraging them to spend more money, customer service should not be reserved for them alone. It should be aimed at all of your customers.
I think that your new program is the antithesis of customer service, especially to those who have chosen United over and over again, however infrequent, in order to accrue miles. AND I think it is poor business sense to coddle the few and alienate the many by taking their miles away from them. At the very least, you could have honored what they had earned so far.
From now on, I will NOT choose United or any of your subsidiaries. I had flown with United before because of the more spacious airplanes and ease of checking into flights. But I will now refuse because of the hypocrisy of your so-called customer service. I'll drive if I have to.
It is poor policy, poor indeed.
Ginger R-"

Seriously, boycott United.

No comments: