Sunday, November 25, 2007

Holding Out for a Hero

So many little things of note have happened that I want to blog about but haven't had the chance. For example, I saw Beowulf and I'm a big fan of the animated character Beowulf. Total hottie!
Speaking of hotties, did you see the last episode of the Bachelor? I am completely convinced that he is saving himself for me now. I am currently formulating a plan to lose weight, have a complete makeover, move to Austin and dedicate my life to meeting him. I have high hopes for it.
I went home for Thanksgiving. I am so glad that I did. I flew home Wed night and back on Fri morning. Everyone here seems surprised that I would fly home for such a short time, but I often drove for longer periods of time for a shorter stay at home. What's the difference? The cost? Trust me, there is no amount of money that would keep me away from my family. Now whenever someone asks how my holiday was, I can honestly answer it was fantastic! But when I ask how their Thanksgiving was, I get unenthusiastic replies: "Good" or "Fine" or "Nice." You know, like they can't say anything bad about it but it wasn't anything spectacular. I look at these people in a new light. I don't think they really got what the holiday was all about or what exactly they're supposed to be thankful for.
In retail, it's a big weekend. And it's been busy at work. I'm doing well in my job, but the challenge is over. I have a few things more to do, but it could run itself now. I'm wondering what the next challenge for me will be. Should I open another store? Should I continue to move around? Would I consider moving someplace else, far, far away? An even longer flight away from my family? You know, they're opening a store in Austin, TX.
Seriously, I do wonder what's next for me. And I'm wondering if it's time to make this place stick. Even if I don't stay with this job and decide on a career change, would I move back home or would I stay here? I love it here and it would be nice to decide on a home for myself. Then I could start making relationships a priority for me.
If the challenge that my friends set for me has taught me anything, it is that dating takes some effort, especially at my age and in my arena. I've been talking to a lot of people about this and everyone agrees that it takes more to meet someone these days. If I'm gonna meet someone, I have to make a concentrated effort to get myself out there and make connections. It's hard. It's about finding a connection, taking a chance, meeting new people, and then doing it all over again, because the odds aren't usually in my favor. It's exhausting.
I almost think that it would be easier to have a relationship with a fictional demon-slaying hero with well-cut abs.

P.S. In a moment of utter weakness, I emailed Casey. But don't worry, he didn't answer.

No comments: