Monday, December 28, 2009

Form vs. Function

yes, it's the age-old question - form vs. function.

See, I got a lot of moolah for Xmas. Which is nice, cuz I can choose a non-standard gift. And after considering a lot of things (here is just a small list: Wii, which would include Beatles Rock Band; Nintendo DSI; a new wardrobe with shoes; a new handbag; a new mattress; a new tooth, which I decided isn't really a gift; Sirius radio for my car; a new TV; a renewed subscription to match.com; a subscription to some other dating service; a trip to Switzerland; a trip anywhere; and new socks), I narrowed it down to 2 things.

1. FORM - a gym membership. This would be a recurring expense, but the Xmas money could take care of the initial fees and a couple of months. In the summer months, I have been pretty good with getting out there and taking some walks. But when it's cold or rainy, I totally slack off. A gym (a good gym) could take care of that. However, with gym memberships in my past, I have always felt like I was wasting my money, because I never keep up my enthusiasm for going. I'm good for say the first month, and then I go maybe 2 or 3 times a month after that. There's always some excuse. I admit, it's totally my own fault, but I hate that I wasted the money.

2. FUNCTION - a GMAT prep course. I've been trying to study for the GMATs for about 6 months now and I'm failing miserably. Much like exercising, any excuse will do. I was aiming to take the GMATs this spring but I'll never make that deadline at this rate. A course could put me on track and get me ready in time.

At this point, I'm kinda leaning towards the gym membership - I mean, who doesn't want to lose weight and look good? But a little tiny part of me says that the GMAT is the better investment. Hmmm... well, if you have any thoughts, please weigh in. Thanks.

No comments: