Friday, July 16, 2010

44 cents

Customer Service Tip of the Day: As it turns out, mail is a valid form of communication and you should check it regularly, because someone may be trying to tell you something. They may not call your cell or text you. Maybe they just choose not to do those things. So ... yeah ... you should check your mail periodically. It's not just for bills.

Meanwhile, the post office is so little used that they have to raise the prices again. You know, they really are a superior organization. Even with the price hike, they are able to transport a piece of paper hundreds of miles for mere pennies. Really, just pennies.
Yeah, email's free. But it's intangible. You can't feel it. You can't smell it. Yes, I said "smell it!" Try it. Write something on a piece of paper and then spritz it with perfume. Mail it.
I admit that I don't do it very often any more, but I love to write letters. I like practicing my handwriting. I like the way my handwriting looks. I also like doing calligraphy. For holiday cards, I sometimes do something fancy like that. I like the feel of cardstock in my hand too. I like watching movies that feature the late 1800s and people receiving letters, like in a Jane Austen story. Such strong paper, such flourish-y writing.
Did you know that in order to preserve paper, they would often write their lines and when they reached the end of the sheet, they would turn the paper a quarter turn and write over the previous lines so that it was perpendicular to them? It's actually surprisingly easy to read.
One of the things that I get to do now is write Thank You notes for customers. I always feel a little like Jane Austen when I'm doing it.

I wonder if people then ever ignored their mail.

No comments: