Friday, May 3, 2013

The long and short of it.

So that date I went on? It was normal. Unfortunately no sparks. That's a shame.

Of course, I should have known. This man told me that he'd never seen an episode of Seinfeld in his life. How is that even possible?!? It's on 30 different channels at least twice a day, and they show 4 shows each time, and I'm pretty sure that they're broadcasting it into space to prepare aliens for what sarcasm sounds like. It's ridiculous!!! In all seriousness, we have to admit, that this is a show that has become a defining cultural icon of the '90s, like leisure suits in the '70s.

Imagine having a conversation where you say, "He's a close talker," and the other person DOESN'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. If he were smart, he might figure it out from the context clues, but my goodness, you don't want your date conversation to turn into a 5th grade reading question!

He also did not know what imdb is. One of my proudest moments is being listed on imdb.* He had no idea what that was.

So how can someone who's into comedy and pop culture, and loves movies, be with someone who's never seen Seinfeld, and is not familiar with imdb?

Short answer: You can't. Long answer: I tried, but it still takes me back to the short answer.

*Incidentally, despite having been told several times in my life that I have a "movie star's name," I am the ONLY one with my name on imdb. Yeah bitches. 


No comments: