Thursday, July 11, 2013

Running Down a Dream

So I'm running a 5k today.

What?!?!?!?

Yeah, I know. That's not like me at all. I mean, I've run that distance before. I'm using the word "run" loosely here.* But I was motivated by my sister, Kim, who has really taken it up. She whupped my butt in our last 5k. Not only was it her best time, but she RAN the whole thing. Like ... continuously. I'm overwhelmingly impressed by that.

This one is along the river between Watertown and Harvard Square. There's a women's only start time at 7pm, and then the open/coed start time at 7:30. I'm debating which one to do. I think I'll be less intimidated by the women only group, but one of my goals this year was to try to meet new people through new activities, which should really motivate me to go with the open time. Also, there's a mixer afterwards at a pub in Harvard Sq at 8:30pm. If I run at 7pm, I might have time to rush home, shower, change, and go to the mixer. But if I run at 7:30, then I can go straight there, possibly hanging with other people who I've met on the way.

And what if no one else showers and changes? I'll look like an idiot - hygienic, dry, and sweet-smelling, but idiot nonetheless. Who wants that?

Them.

The truth is that I didn't really think this one through. Who wants to meet new people when I've just completed an activity that is not going to let me look my best?

Me.
OMG! I suddenly get why girls wear makeup to the gym.

*By run, I mean that my feet move one in front of the other, in a pace slightly faster than what I would use to walk from the living room to the kitchen. Or rather, occasionally my feet will move at that pace, followed by intermittent periods of my feet moving at a pace pretty close to what I would use if I had been sitting in my car for a half hour** and really had to use the bathroom, and just arrived home.

**Originally, I was going to say 1 hour, but then I realized, in that situation, I would move very fast, possibly faster than I "run." 

No comments: