Friday, August 17, 2007

Rabies! Rabies!

OMG!!! There was just a bat in the apt. Now normally, I love my apt here in Boston, but I have never had a bat problem in my life. I have never seen a bat that close in my life. I've never been in the same room with a bat that was not separated from me by plexiglass. I don't think that I like bats. It was flying around the room and it was enormous. It could have landed on Dan's cat and clawed her eye out if it wanted to. It was a nasty thing.
Earlier, I was sitting in the living room, when it suddenly flew into the room and started flying around in circles . Frightened, I ran for my life and my room. I had every intention of staying in there til dawn. Then I decided to call Taxi Driver to see what best to do. He was calm and collected while he told me that I should open a window and turn on all the lights. Eventually the bat would find his way out. This plan however meant that I would have to leave my room. He then very generously offered to come over and kill it for me, but there were 2 problems with this option. One - I would have to clean up dead bat. Two - I would have to leave my room to let him in. So .... no. And I don't mind saying that I was a little disappointed that Taxi Driver's advice was NOT, "Oh you should stay in your room til morning."
I tried to think how to tell Dan, who I knew was home, that there was a bat in the house and he should do something about it. But I didn't have his phone number. And you can't hear anything thru these walls. So I didn't know how to tell him. Taxi Driver kept insisting that I had to tell my roommate but I didn't seem to be able to get across to him that I WAS NOT LEAVING MY ROOM!
Not to worry, soon I heard footsteps right ouside my door and Dan yelling for me. That's when I told him that there's a bat in the house. Dan made me open my door and there he stood covered entirely in a blanket. Apparently the bat found its way upstairs, where Dan saw it and ran downstairs. Dan then formulated a plan as to how to get rid of the bat. With me watching his back (OUTSIDE OF MY ROOM!) he would run to the front door and out into the hall, closing the door behind him. Then he would open the front hall's window. When he ran back into the apt, we wou.ld then jointly turn on all the lights.
We managed to carry out this plan successfully, but it didn't seem to get rid of the bat. so we had to open more windows and turn on more lights. There was a lot of hedging and hiding behind doors and false scares. I put on a hat and covered that too with my hoodie. Eventually, the bat wasn't to be found. Just to make sure, we went upstairs to check it out. All clear, but still frightening. We're guessing and hoping that it flew out of the apt.
I don't know what kinda crazy batshit they got going on up North, but I will not have it. The landlord is getting a call tomorrow.

2 comments:

Megan B said...

There must be a massive difference between Aussie bats and American bats (yeah like rabies for a start) because our bats are cuuuute. They're like mice with wings. We've had the odd one in our house and I bust my arse to make sure I get to it before the cats do and I carry it outside. Poor little things are more scared of you than you are of them!

Then again you might have bigarse bats, I dunno. I might be less inclined to like them if they were as big as chickens.

Ginger said...

Weeellllll ... it wasn't as big as a chicken. Total wing span was prolly about 10 inches. But! I am not at all used to bats. And! I don't think they're cute. So! there.