Sunday, April 26, 2009

Did I mention that I'm an Aquarius AND I was born under the water sign for the Year of the Ox?

Today was a beautiful day. Such weather we have not seen for a long time in New England. Wanting to take advantage of the weather AND my day off, I took some GMAT stuff, my Ipod, some drinks, and some Cracker Jacks to the river. I walked my usual 3 mile route and intended to stop and read some of the books. While walking, I saw that there were way more canoers than usual on the river. When I reached the far bridge, I saw that there was a canoe race on. As it turns out it's North America's largest canoe race. Who knew?

It was a pleasant walk and I wore my Ipod. I was listening to bluegrass. It just seemed the day for it. Eventually, inevitably, a song about heartbreak came on and it got me to thinking about that Baltimore ex-"boyfriend." Lately, I've been pretty active on Match.com, so dating has been at the forefront of my mind. I was pep-talking myself about how badly he treated me. How could he just stop like that? Then I thought about how instant my attraction to him was. And I wondered if I would ever feel it again. I wondered if I moved back to that area, would I try to see him again. I thought, well, I want to get promoted to one of the big stores in that area. I'd like to be a manager there. If that happened, would we even try? And then it hit me.

Like an asteroid.

Like an asteroid that could be responsible for ending life on a planet.

Or maybe even starting it.

I'm not going to move back there.

I'm staying here.

When I thought of myself as a manager at one of those big stores, I realized ... I don't want that job. I'm not interested. I'd rather stay here.

It was like a weight had been lifted. I don't think I really knew what that metaphor meant until I felt it today. So much uncertainty that I had felt for a while was gone. A path seemed to make itself clear. As clear as the one I was currently walking by the river. As clear as the one marked in the tarot cards.

I've finished with this job. A boorish way to say it is that I'm bored. And I get bored, I'll admit. I change jobs as soon as the challenge is gone. In this job, I still have improvements to make. I want to make them. But I'm not motivated to move upward in it. There's nothing more to achieve. And it will be too long a wait for a different job that I'll like in the company.

No, there's another job that I'm going to apply for. It'll be a radical change. I'm not sure that I'm qualified. I'll have to polish up the ol' resume. I haven't used it in ... 6 years? Yikes. I don't know why I held back from applying before. I don't think I was scared of them saying no, so much as I didn't want to find out that I don't have any options. But that's not true anymore either. After all, I'm studying for the GMATs.

The river was in the cards. It represented flow, change. Looking at it today, after my epiphany, I realized that the lesson is to keep moving forward. (Well, we've heard that before.)

The river always flows. Nothing can stop it. And there are no obstacles.

Have you ever noticed that? A river knows no obstacles. The water just flows around them. It always finds a way.

No comments: