Tuesday, March 24, 2009

So chard to handle

Breakfast: bowl of Raisin Bran with 2% milk, water
Lunch: 1 fried egg, 2 pcs whole wheat toast, water

Went for a walk - about 3 miles, 1 hour, with roommate and her friend. Very nice, along the river, saw geese fighting and mating.

Snack: green grapes, 1 can coke

FINALLY did my taxes - can you believe it took me 4 hours? Well, actually trying to repair my computer took about an hour and a half. Then it took me about an hour to decide that I didn't want the Turbo Tax Premier; instead I wanted the cheapest one. I owed federal taxes and I get a nice chunk of change back from the state. Weird. I'll have to change my federal withholding.

Dinner: another can of coke, sauteed swiss chard (rainbow) with prosciutto and butter; salmon with dill (lots of dill), olive oil, and lemon, grilled in my lovely pan from Ikea!; a yogurt and dill sauce for the salmon; homemade whole wheat bread with butter - I'll be honest, I had 2 helpings of this. When the whole dinner was done, it was so good, that I had to pat myself on the back. Literally. I was craving that salmon all day.

Did I tell you that I started taking a fish oil supplement? My dr. said that my good cholesterol was low and I need to eat more Omega-3s. Hence, the salmon. But I decided to go with the supplement also because I don't eat fish all that often. I think ever since living in Japan, I'm just not that into it. But ...

I got the salmon at a fish market and all that fish certainly did entice me. Maybe this summer I'll explore ways to cook fish.

Another thing that I've promised myself is that I'm going to write down the recipes that I come up with. I'll have to remember to note that I don't need that much butter when sautee-ing chard. And if you haven't had it, it's my new favorite vegetable.

No comments: